Thursday, September 15, 2016

A Special Birthday Card

Well, I promised this card on Tuesday and here it is Thursday. I'm a little late, but I hope you'll forgive me. The start of the school year is always a wee bit crazy!

My nephew celebrated his 5th birthday this week and, since he is a HUGE Octonauts fan, I thought I'd make him a special card...

It's a punch art/shaker/easel card. I may have gone a wee bit overboard! To create the little characters I pretty much followed Kelly Kent's fantastic tutorial which you can find HERE. There were a few items that are retired that I no longer own, so I had to improvise a little. One example is Capt. Barnacle's hat. For it, I used one of the label dies in the Apothecary Accents framelits (also retired, but one I've held onto) and then punched it with the 1-1/4" circle die. Here's a close up:

Here is Kwazi...


...and Peso.

Once I had created my characters I thought it might be fun if they were peeking out the portholes in the Octopod, which is their orange home base under the sea. I used Pumpkin Pie for the Octopod background and then embossed it using the Decorative Dots TIEF (also retired). I cut the portholes using the Layering Circles framelits and then cut frames from Bermuda Bay card stock. The rivets around the portholes are punched from Basic Gray card stock using the smallest circle in the Owl Builder punch. Then I decided it needed to be a shaker card, so I added a Pacific Point frame and some acetate. To fill the shaker I added a couple of fish from the Jar of Love stamp set, die-cut with the Everyday Jars framelits.  I added some sequins reminiscent of bubbles.  Of course, then I decided it needed to be an EASEL card, so...


I adhered the shaker card front to a Pacific Point base to create and easel. On the inside I added a Whisper White panel on which I stamped the sentiment from the Confetti Celebration stamp set and a few more fish in Bermuda Bay, Pumpkin Pie and So Saffron.

To say my nephew liked his card is an understatement...he seems to think it's an iPad and has carried it everywhere he goes since receiving it on Sunday. Poor kid is going to be sadly disappointed to discover that it most definitely is NOT an iPad, but at least for a few days I was a hero :)

Have a great day!



Product List
Big Shot
[143263]
$136.00
Decorative Dots Textured Impressions Embossing Folder
Decorative Dots Textured Impressions Embossing Folder
[133520]
$9.25
Apothecary Accents Framelits Die
Apothecary Accents Framelits Die
[127003]
$31.95
Cupcake Builder Punch
Cupcake Builder Punch
[121807]
$22.00
Small Oval Punch
Small Oval Punch
[120908]
$15.95
Banner Punch
Banner Punch
[133519]
$16.00

1 comment:

  1. This is great Leena - I love the portholes your Octonauts are peeping out of! I think I'll be CASEing you next!!! Thanks for the link back to my tutorial. Kelly x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...