Sunday, January 9, 2011

More fun with sketches

Yesterday I posted two versions of cards made from the same sketch in the current issue of Stampin' Success.  Today I have another pair of cards for you.  The sketch for this card was also in a past issue of Stampin' Success (though I can't remember which one!).  The first card was a make 'n' take designed, again, by my upline Jamilla Ivits for one of our team meetings.  The second is my Valentine's version.
Simple thank you card that uses DSP in several different patterns, yet is completely coordinated.
My Valentine version of the same layout using Artistic Etchings and Punch Potpourri sets and Love Letters DSP

Close up of heart feature.  Sentiment is from Tiny Tags set.  Heart image is from Punch Potpourri level 1 hostess set.

Inside of card.  Sentiment is from retired Watercolour Trio set.
Amazing how the same sketch could result in two so completely different cards!  To create my vintage Valentine here is what I did...
I started with the focal image collage.  I stamped several images from the Artistic Etchings set randomly all over a 3 1/2" square of very vanilla cardstock.  I used basic black and cherry cobbler ink (this was before I realized the red in the DSP was riding hood red...when I do this with my monthly clubs it will be the correct shade!) and stamped some images full-strength and others stamped off to give the collage some depth.  I also made sure to have some images going off the page.  I then antiqued the whole thing by sponging champagne mist shimmer paint all over it is a circular motion.  This will blur the images slightly but that adds to the vintage-feel of the card.  While that was drying, I took a crumb cake card base and adhered a 2 x 4 1/4" strip of DSP along the bottom edge.  I then punched a strip of cherry cobbler cardstock with my dotted scalloped ribbon punch (new purchase I am LOVING!) and adhered it along the top edge of the DSP using SNAIL adhesive.  By this time the collage was dry and I layered it over a black patterned piece of DSP and then glued it to my cardfront.  I punched out a couple of photo corners from cherry cobbler CS and DSP, layered them and adhered them at the top left corner of the collage using dimensionals. 
For the heart feature I stamped the heart image from the Punch Potpourri set in cherry cobbler on very vanilla CS and punched it out with my full heart punch.  I then die cut a scalloped heart of hearts in basic black and layered it behind my stamped image.  I then stamped the "4 You" from the Tiny Tags set in black on very vanilla CS, punched it out using my medium jewelry tag punch and  then layered it with two more tag punch-outs.  I used one of the cute mini library clips to attach the tags  to the hearts.  I then adhered the finished feature to the cardfront using dimensionals.
For the inside of the card, I layered a piece of the black patterned DSP behind a piece of textured very vanilla CS that I had sponged with crumb cake ink.  I added another strip of the red patterned DSP along the bottom edge.  I adhered a piece of basic black 1/8" taffeta ribbon along the top edge of the red DSP.  I stamped the sentiment (from Watercolour Trio set) in black on very vanilla CS, punched it out with my modern label punch, sponged the edges with cherry cobbler ink and then the whole thing with champagne mist shimmer paint.  I layered that behind two more modern label punch-outs and adhered the whole thing using dimensionals.
I like that this card uses a simple layout yet still has enough to it to give it a vintage-feel.  I hope my club members will  like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...